Lisa Wilkinson was warned last week by the Director of Public Prosecutions Shane Drumgold, in the Bruce Lehrmann – Brittany Higgins matter, that anything she said publicly could be used to stop or delay the trial.
Yet Wilkinson shot off her mouth on national TV at the Logie Awards on Sunday (19/6/22) anyhow which has resulted in the trial being adjourned to a later date to be decided.
But that’s only half the story and when all the evidence is collated as per below, I believe Lisa Wilkinson should face contempt of court charges.
- Lisa Wilkinson is a witness in the case and has been called to give evidence because she was the first journalist to interview Brittany Higgins on TV last year. As a witness and a journalist, Lisa Wilkinson should and would have known that she should not make any public statements about the case.
- Lisa Wilkinson’s husband Peter FitzSimons has been subpoenaed in the matter to give evidence and/or hand over documents for his “role in securing a lucrative book deal for Brittany Higgins”. (Click here to read more) That is another reason why Lisa Wilkinson should not have made any public statement about the case.
- In August 2021 Lisa Wilkinson warned people on TV and Twitter: “On the issue of the 26 yo man summonsed for an alleged sexual assault of a woman in Parliament House in March 2019 can I implore everyone to respect what’s in play here. Naming the man on social media & passing judgement could have dire consequences for the outcome of any trial.” (Click here to read more) Lisa Wilkinson ignored her own advice.
- Last week (Week beginning the 13th of June 2022) “The court heard there had been a briefing between Ms Wilkinson and the prosecutors last week when she raised the matter of her nomination for a Gold Logie. Part of the evidence included an exchange where the Director of Public Prosecutions Shane Drumgold warned her that the defence might use anything she said to reinstate a stay application. Chief Justice McCallum said instead Ms Wilkinson openly referred to Ms Higgins, praising her courage. (Click here to read more) Lisa Wilkinson ignored the advice of the Director of Public Prosecutions Shane Drumgold.
- The case will be back in court on Thursday (23/6/22), when the prosecution is considering making an application for a restraint on commentary by Ms Wilkinson, The Project, Amanda Keller and Brendan Jones, and Ms Higgins, ahead of the trial.
Why did Lisa Wilkinson ignore so many red flags?
I published the below video (21/6/22) a couple of hours after Justice Lucy McCallum’s judgement and a fill in a lot of the details.
Bruce Lehrmann was due to stand trial in the ACT Supreme Court next Monday but now that has been adjourned indefinitely although Justice McCallum did say she hoped that the matter would heard before the end of this year.
I have no doubt if the roles were reversed and myself or another independent journalist did what Lisa Wilkinson did that the old media would demand I was charged with contempt, which they’ve done before. So, why aren’t old media journalists like Lisa Wilkinson ever charged with contempt?
Sadly, the case is turning into a bit of a circus because of the old media.
Please use Twitter, Facebook, email and the other buttons below and help promote this article.
Kangaroo Court of Australia is an independent website and is reliant on donations to keep publishing so please click on the Patreon button below and support independent journalism.
If you would like to support via PayPal use the button below or for other donation options click here to go to the Donations page.
Thank you for your support.
For the KCA t-shirt shop click here.
Categories: Justice Lucy McCallum